5 Best Glamping Tents
What is Glamping
You may be asking yourself what is glamping? Glamping is a fast growing trend in outdoor recreation. For those who don’t know what it means, the word is a combination of the words “glamour” and “camping.” Glamping is for people and families who want to experience all the luxuries of a hotel or resort style experience and the adventures of camping all in one. One of the main features needed for a great posh camping tent is large interior space. This allows you to bring along all your favorite things from home and customize the inside to your liking. Although the rise in popularity of glamorous camping is fairly recent, the idea has been around forever. Some of the first “glampers” on record were people like the Scottish Duke of Atholl and Ottoman military units in the 16th century. They had fancy tents filled with all the luxury items one needed to be more than comfortable in the outdoors environment. These early glamping tents were meant to recreate all the amenities of a royal palace in an outdoor setting and set the gold standard for comfortable camping. Another example of early glamping was the African safari trips taken by wealthy British and American citizens in the 1920’s. They wanted adventure without having to sacrifice luxury or amenities. Fast forward to the modern day and you don’t need to be royalty to have a comfortable and upscale camping experience. Glamping is a great way for couples, families, and individuals to experience the outdoors without sacrificing pleasure. The most important item needed for your glamping trip is a great tent. We will take a look at some of the best glamping tents available for your next camping trip in style.
Tips for Your Next Glamping Trip
– Make a master list and diagram of everything needed to ensure maximum comfort on your next glamping trip. Practice setting the tent up and arranging all of your gear in your backyard before you leave. This means you won’t get to the middle of nowhere and realize you forgot that important item or spend hours trying to figure out where to put everything. Store everything in labeled plastic bins so when the time comes to leave you can pack and go without worrying.
– One of the most comforting and enjoyable things about camping is a great fire. There is nothing worse than showing up to your campsite and being unable to find dry wood or kindling to get your fire started. Put together a fire kit that allows you to quickly get a nice fire going without hassle. Long burning fire-starter logs are a great idea for keeping unwanted pests from traveling to a new ecosystem. Just in case you find yourself with nothing but wet food for starting a fire, a great hack is using your mattress inflator as a blower. This will get even the dampest wood roaring in no time. Make sure you check out these fun campfire games.
– Speaking of mattress inflators, don’t sleep on the hard ground. There are a wide variety of comfortable blow up air mattresses available that are compact and lightweight. If for some reason you get flooded out, the mattress will keep you dry and comfortable in even the worst conditions.
– If you are camping with kids be sure to have activities planned ahead of time. Even though glamping is all about bringing along lots of items for comfort, you still want them to experience the outdoors. Try to limit the time on their electronic devices. Bringing along family friendly outdoor games like cornhole or yard dice is a perfect solution for keeping them entertained.
– Make sure you have a nice cooking set up to prepare tasty food. This can be as simple as a cast iron skillet and dutch oven, all the way up to very sophisticated camping cook kits. Starting your morning off with a nice breakfast and campfire coffee for the adults and fresh squeezed juice for the kids will have everyone in a great good. Researching camping recipes and making a list and meal plan ahead of time ensures that you don’t forget any necessary ingredients. Always make sure you have the items needed for S’mores. Adding ingredients like bananas and Nutella will really take them to another level. For the adults, bring along acrylic wine glasses and your favorite bottle of wine.
– Decorate and personalize your tent and campsite so it feels like a home away from home. Making sure you have great lighting with a nice electronic lantern or battery powered strands lights is a great idea that provides nice ambience. Décor like hanging garlands or your own personalized flag really puts a personal touch on your trip.
– Nothing spells relaxation and comfort like a good old hammock. This is an old standby that never goes out of style. If you have a family you may even want to bring along a couple hammocks so no one has to fight over them. Comfortable folding chairs for lounging around your “glampground” are also a must for any camping trip.
– Keep the bugs away! Nothing ruins an outdoor experience like pesky mosquitoes and other insects. Thankfully there are a very large variety of bug repellant products available to combat this problem. Citronella candles and torches are a must. You can even purchase perfume that doubles as a bug spray.
Why Buy a Glamping Tent
Let’s face it, most of us love our comfort and the idea of roughing it by sleeping outside under the stars isn’t that appealing. If you have children, primitive camping will more than likely ensure they never want to go again. But if you put some effort into making the experience enjoyable they will be begging you to go. We have also all probably had some bad experiences trying to put together a poorly made tent that falls apart in a light breeze. It seems like you spend more time figuring out the overly complicated instructions out and where all the poles go than actually enjoying the outdoors.
Once you finally get the tent set up it offers very few added features in the way of comfort. You have to sleep on the hard ground in a sleeping bag. If it rains you are really in trouble because a poorly made tent won’t keep out the weather. A great solution to these problems is a high quality glamping tent. They are well designed with comfort and luxury in mind. These tents are made with high quality materials and easy to set up. The added features really make for a more enjoyable experience. There are a wide range of different styles of tents available. So whether you are a single person, couple, or large family you can definitely find something to suit your needs. Finally, there are multiple resorts and businesses jumping on the trend and charging large fees to rent their glamping sites. For the cost of renting these sites for a few times you can buy your own glamping tent and take it anywhere you want! The quality materials used to build them and great warranties mean they will last a lifetime. We will now take a look at some of the best rated glamping tents available. Believe it or not, camping season is fast approaching and buying one of these tents will take your camping to a new level of fun and comfort!
1) Dream House Heavy Duty Glamping Tent
This beautiful bell shaped tent will be the envy of everyone at the campground. It is 13.1 feet in diameter with a door height of 59 inches and 98.4 inches at the point. There is also a slightly bigger version available that is 16.4 feet in diameter with a door height of 63 inches and 118 inches at the top. The smaller version fits one queen sized bed and two twin sized beds. This would be the perfect size for a family and lots of gear. The bigger version fits one king sized bed. This size would be great for a couple or larger family who wants to camp in style with lots of room and a big comfortable bed. Two people can easily set it up. The tent is made from a soft and breathable cotton canvas. The cotton canvas is a much better choice than the traditional polyester used on many other tents because it has waterproof backing and seam sealing. It is double-stitched, completely waterproof, and more durable than traditional tents. The breathable canvas also provides a more comfortable climate inside during the hot months. It also comes with a zippable groundsheet that allows you to open up the sides and allows the wind to come through on a warm day. On the other hand, it has a stove hole in the center and holds in heat well if you like to camp in cooler weather. This also makes it a great choice for hunting and fishing parties. All of these features make it suitable for use in any weather. Some other features include mosquito nets on windows and doors, a lantern ring, a 3 inch removable PVC floor to keep out groundwater, and a durable canvas carry bag. This tent is windproof up to 30 miles per hour and comes with all ropes and pegs needed to secure it. The large open design allows you to fill the tent up with your favorite creature comforts and is a great choice for year round glamping!
2) Wenzel 8 Person Klondike Tent
This is one of the most affordable, popular, and highly rated glamping tents available. It’s large 8 person size measures 16 x 6.5 x 11 feet and features two different rooms. The back of the tent is a spacious 8 person room and it also has a separate screened in sun room on the front with sides that also zips up or down to keep the nice breeze in and the bad weather out. The removable mesh roof option is nice for accommodating to different types of weather. It features an open design with lots of windows for viewing nature and the stars at night. The large screened in section makes a perfect room to fill up with all your favorite comfort camping accessories. It is easily set up by two people, even in the dark. This tent is ideal for large family camping trips or a couple who really wants space to stretch out. It is made of weather resistant polyester with polyurethane coating and double staked corners for added stability and durability in windy conditions. The seams of the entire floor come up on the sides like a bathtub to keep out water. With its open design and lighter weight polyester construction, this tent is not recommended for really cold weather camping like the heavy duty Dream House canvas tent. Overall this is a great starter glamping tent best suited for families and larger groups.
3) Stout Bell Tent
The Stout Bell tent is sure to impress everyone who sees it. This is a perfectly rated and durable bell tent made out of double stitched cotton canvas like Dream House reviewed earlier. This glamping tent sets up easy and is constructed with waterproof and mold resistant high quality materials. It is very spacious so you can bring along lots of amenities. You can easily fit 3 queen beds and lots of equipment on the inside with its open floor plan. The Stout Bell tent comes in 2 different sizes and 4 different options total. The first size option is 13 ft in diameter and 8 ft tall. This size also has a single wall or heavy duty version with bug guard double wall. The second size option is 16 ft in diameter and 10 ft tall. This version also is available with a single wall or the bug guard double wall as well. A stove vent is also included in this tent making a great pick for all weather conditions. It is very popular with families and also amazing for hunting and fishing trips. A unique and useful feature is the zip in or out groundsheet which allows you to roll up the tent walls for maximum ventilation in warmer weather. Also comes with two protected and waterproof passthroughs for running power cords into the tent. Bring along your flat screen TV, computers, and any electronics you need to have a luxurious camping trip. The 5 year warranty means this glamping tent is built to last.
4) Elk Mountain 13 x 16 Canvas Wall Tent and Angle Kit
If you are looking for massive size and the absolute highest quality construction this is the tent for you. The Elk Mountain tent is great for those who want an all season tent to customize and fit their specific needs. The large rectangular floor plan can be filled with everything you need to make sure your camping experience is nothing but the best. It comes with a heavy duty 20 piece angle kit and wire support system. This allows you to build your own complete frame out of 3/4 inch conduit. You will have to purchase the conduit or pole kit separately. This is perfect for a large families or groups, permanent set ups, and is one of the the most popular tents available for hunting and fishing trips. Everyone raves about the quality and look. It is made of waterproof and mold resistant polyester canvas and reinforced at all seems with double canvas. Other features include 6 windows, a stove jack, zipper door, sod cloth, and eve openings. It also includes eve ropes, tensioners, and ten steel tent stakes. There is no floor covering with this model. You can customize the floor to fit your needs or put it on a permanent base. This tent is the perfect “blank canvas” for creating your very own and unique glamping tent. Also works great for parties and entertaining. Everyone who sees this tent will be fighting to get inside this impressive unit.
5) Guide Gear 10 x 10 Teepee Tent
The Guide Gear Teepee Tent is a great starter tent for those who want the glamping experience of a bell style tent on a budget. This tent features a timeless tee-pee design with a large interior and a 6 and half foot height at the top center. There is plenty of space to bring along all the stuff a couple needs for a lavish camping experience but also sleeps up to 6 people if needed. Featuring easy to set up instruction and heavy duty construction with waterproof polyester in a lightweight package, this would also make a great solo camping tent for someone who really wants to spoil themselves. The windows have a removable cover with mesh underneath allowing you to open the tent up and keep the air flowing through while keeping the bugs out. Although well constructed and durable, this tent is not suited for really cold weather like the canvas tents with a stove pipe.
There you have it, a list of some of the best glamping tents. Still not what you are looking for? Make sure you check out some of the traditional family tents.