How to Be Funny
Being funny is one of the most desired traits. Below you will find 17 tips on how to be funny. These tips, if practiced, are sure to help you become funny.
How to Be Funny
Would you rather be funny or not funny? Given the option, most of us would choose to be known for our sense of humor. Even more important, if you are looking to begin a relationship, a sense of humor is listed as one of the most desirable traits. If you are less than humorous now, fret not. Being funny is something that can be learned. Below you will find 17 tips on how to be funny.
- Determine what makes you laugh – If you want to make people laugh, you can start by examining yourself. What makes you laugh? Take out a notepad and start to brainstorm. When’s the last time you laughed? What caused you to laugh? Spend about 15 minutes making a thorough list.
- Observe what makes others laugh – If you want to learn how to be funny, it’s important that you become observant. When you are with others, and you find someone laughing, take a mental note or jot down a note in your phone. Keep a “funny folder.” Here you can keep your notes of things that will make others laugh.
- Spend more time with funny people – Are the people that you spend a lot of time with funny? Typically you tend to take on traits of your inner circle. If your friends aren’t funny, start making a list of people that you find funny. Try to intentionally spend more time with them.
- Memorize one liners – One liners are perfect. They don’t take a lot of effort and they can get the job done. “My fake plants died because I didn’t pretend to water them.
- Watch lots of comedy shows – Besides being fun to do, watching comedy shows can increase your level of funniness.
- Watch funny movies – Watch funny movies and be intentional about plucking out some of the funniest parts. Take notes and keep it in your funny folder. Sometimes all it takes is repeating snippet of a funny movie get someone laughing.
- Read joke books or joke blogs – There is no shortage of funny material. Head on over to Amazon and buy some of the highest ranked joke books. Use google to and type in different joke or funny keywords. Find a funny blog that resonates with the type of humor that you want to incorporate.
- Do use sarcasm – Sarcasm can be extremely funny. Use it but don’t overdue it.
- Do use sexual innuendo’s – Use your best judgement on this. You want to make sure that your audience is appropriate. When in doubt refrain from using sexual innuendos.
- Self deprecation can work – Use this with people that you know well. Self deprecating humor is when someone belittles or makes fun of themselves. An example of self deprecating humor would be someone that is overweight making jokes about their weight. Use sparingly or it will have the reverse affect.
- Do NOT use demeaning jokes – Demeaning can make you look like more of jerk than someone of good humor. Don’t belittle other people or groups of people when trying to be funny.
- Do NOT use mimicry – Mimicking others is annoying, enough said.
- Timing is everything – When observing other people being funny, take note of their timing. If you are too early or too late, it might loose some of it’s humor. Practice makes perfect.
- Use jokes sparingly – Don’t go overboard with your jokes. Joking too often be more annoying than funny. A perfect example of what not to do would be this guy trying to be funny, using puns at Disney. At the end of the video you could see how fed up she was with the humor.
- Don’t take yourself so seriously – In short, loosen up.
- Animation and energy is humors best friend – Try to incorporate energy and animation into your humor. It’s harder to be funny if your monotone and low on the energy scale.
- Smile to be funny – Smiling is contagious. If you are looking to make others laugh and smile, start by smiling yourself. It’s important to remember, don’t overdue it. Smiling to much can be creepy and have the reverse affect.
There you have it, 17 tips on how to be funny. Remember, being funny can be learned. The more you practice being funny, the more likely you will become funny. At first, you might want to start by practicing on some people you know really well. Don’t let them know that you are practicing. After you start to see some success with the people you know well, start to venture out. Start trying to be funny with complete strangers or groups of strangers. Practice being funny on dates and in different situations.